Problems building JDK 1.4

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Tue Mar 30 09:50:14 PST 2004

I am trying to build java/jdk14 with portupgrade, and I have run into a
problem. After downloading all the necessary patches and the j2sdk
binaries and src files from Sun, I ran the following:

portupgrade --new java/jdk14

Things went along fine for about 2 hours, and then wham I get the
following error:

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
location
/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/java/util/CurrencyData.java:1: 'class' or 'interface' expected
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
location
^
/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/java/util/CurrencyData.java:1: unclosed character literal
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
location
                                       ^
2 errors
gmake[4]: *** [.compile.classlist] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make/java/java'
gmake[3]: *** [optimized] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make/java/java'
gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make/java'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make'
gmake: *** [j2se-build] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portupgrade8248.0 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /
!:failed)
        ! java/jdk14    (unknown build error)

I did some searching and noticed that someone else posted the exact same
problem a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately no one replied to his
problem.

Has anyone solved this, or know what I should do to fix the problem?
Here's some more info that may be helpful:

port: jdk-1.4.2p6_4
uname -mp: 5.1-RELEASE-p2 i386

Thanks for any help,
Chris

p.s. sorry for the long lines in the error