about Ultra-sparc and alpha: what makes the difference?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Mar 30 09:28:44 PST 2004

Hello. The question sounds really silly, but google with "compare sparc
i386 alpha" / "benchmark sparc i386 alpha" doesn't give meaningful
result in several pages. Please suggest me a better keyword compilation:)

I don't know about anything other than i386, but the sparc servers and
alpha servers are much more expensive than i386 servers on the same
clock rate. People keep telling me "they are expensive because they are
more advanced", but I prefer to read some comperhasive data, benchmarks
and such like.

Thank you.