Why all my application giving me core dumped error?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 01:58:19 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:45:11PM +0800, Suhaimi Jamalludin wrote:

> I got some question regarding FreeBSD.
> Today I just install FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE from CD. Then  I cvsup port-all
> tag=. to the current one and complete the portupgrade -arR for update.
> I want to setup LDAP+SAMBA3. Then I install all the required ports. Then
> After I install samba-devel. my system going crazy it give me all these
> core dumped error.
>
> A) Why this happen?
> B) How to check what is wrong with my system?
>
> Can some body advice me...Please....

Either you have hardware problems, or (and this seems to me more
likely in this case) you chose the wrong time to pull down the
5-CURRENT sources.  Remember that HEAD is a development branch -- it's
not intended for anything other than system developers to use, and
there's no guarrantee that sources pulled down from HEAD will even
compile, let alone run correctly and stably.

If what you want is a rock-solid reliable server then you should
install 4.9-RELEASE-pN (RELENG_4_9), or possibly 4.9-STABLE
(RELENG_4).  If it's a home system or you don't mind it not being as
reliable as *BSD aims to be, or you have hardware not supported in
older versions, or you have a particular requirement for functionality
like nss_ldap not available in older versions, then run the latest
"Early Adopter" release, which right now is 5.2.1-RELEASE-p4
(RELENG_5_2).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way