growfs on vinum volume

Ludo Koren lk at tempest.sk
Mon Mar 29 08:38:32 PST 2004

    >> vinum -> l ...
    >> D d1                    State: up       /dev/da1s1e     A: 0/15452 MB (0%)
    >> D rd1                   State: up       /dev/da1s1h     A: 0/1023 MB (0%)

     > You shouldn't have more than one drive per spindle.

It has 'historical' reason. I started with vinum, when it was not
possible to mirror root partition (at least I found just document
'Bootstrapping Vinum: A Foundation for Reliable Servers' by R. A. Van
Valzah in 2001 or 2002 on www.freebsd.org)

    >> growfs /dev/vinum/mirror

     > You've missed out some information.  May I assume that you had
     > a valid file system on the 15 GB volume mirror before you
     > started this?

Yes

    >> It finished with the following error:
    >>
    >> growfs: bad inode number 1 to ginode
    >>
    >> I have searched the archives, but did not find any
    >> answer. Please, could you point to me what I did wrong?

     > You trusted growfs on 5.2.1 :-)

I did it successfully before on 5.x (I don't remember exactly, about 6
months ago) but not on vinum volume...

     > growfs is suffering from lack of love, and presumably you had a
     > UFS 2 file system on the drive.  It's only recently been fixed
     > for that, in 5-CURRENT.

There is UFS 1 file system on the drive.

     > What you do now depends on the state of the file system.
     > Hopefully you still have the original contents.  In this case,

Yes, I have original contents. The volume size is 15GB just as before.

     > you could get hold of the version from -CURRENT, which should
     > compile with no problems, and try again.  It wouldn't do any
     > harm to take down one of the plexes so that you can recover if
     > something goes wrong.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll try it on weekend, because
there is no possible downtime during the working days.

     > Greg

lk