can't address at least 3GB or virtual memory

julesg at newebmail.com julesg at newebmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:24:37 PST 2004

Hello all:

I am trying to submit user-class jobs to a FreeBSD platform running 5.2.1

And when I attempt to malloc in excess of 512MB, my program core dumps.

I have 1.5GB or RAM, with PAE installed.

With various kernel patches, no X, and some other constraints I can malloc
up about 1.2GB before the system becomes unstable.  In fact, I can just
barely get about 1.6GB -- but that much will usually cause a system reset.

My application requires about 1.5GB to run nicely.  Can I get that much
with FreeBSD?

And to the people who have made FreeBSD possible, even taking the time to
answer my (and others) questions, thank you!

I just have one final thought:  Bill Gates said we'd never need more than
640k.

--jg