Hi I have a suggestion! To Imporve the perfect Freebsd!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Mar 28 17:48:17 PST 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Joe Falcone wrote:

> With your help your os will
> become a alternetive to all operating systems on the
> market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
a) the goal of FreeBSD isn't to become a marketed product, per se... and
b) FreeBSD already IS an alternative to marketed OS's.

> If you will make WINE a hidden component in
> the operating system and tell everyone about the new
> compatability you will make a difference in operating
> systems of future computing.

Disturbing...
a) why make Windows out of a system that isn't Windows?  If you need
it...why not just run it?
b) I don't WANT invisible compatibility.  I don't need the virus
propagations and hacks for one OS showing up in another one.

I *like* knowing that I can have a virus binary on my system sandboxed
tightly in because it *can't* run on my platform.  I regularly test
some of my mailscanners and AV implementations using files saved on my
OS X system.

> Make a difference and
> change the way operating systems work by taking this
> advice of mine and you will have a flawless operating
> system of sorts.

Except that it runs Windows stuff. :-p

> YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM WILL DO IT ALL

No OS is perfect if it aims to be all things for all people.  Focus on
the strengths that work best for the OS niche, and you'll have a
usable system for that segment...at least that's my philosophy.  I've
been wrong many times before though :-)

> if you make this a special component in the operating
> system. We can acomplish! The world needs windows
> programs without the "blue screen of death" So do this
> and you will be rewarded inside af how you changed the
> world!

Then wait for MS to fix their problems.  Me, I'm happy with my servers
running FreeBSD and Linux and my notebook running OS X and I tolerate
the servers the end users use with Win2k :-/