slightly OT; DNS and mail config...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Mar 28 13:42:51 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 03:07:18PM -0600, Jay Moore wrote:
> On Sunday 28 March 2004 02:29 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	For the past N days, mail sent to private individuals
> > 	seems to be bounced.  Mail fom this list, however,
> > 	and spam (of course :-|) gets through.
> >
> > 	I just updated my registrar data and cut a secondary that
> > 	may have been causing problems.  The only "hint" is from
> > 	a networking student who said that typing "reply" got a
> > 	bounce while sending mail to "kline at though.org" (note: no 't')
> > 	worked.
> >
> > 	Any ideas on this?
>
> either your DNS records are/were hosed, or your MTA is mis-config'd.
>
> Try http://www.dnsstuff.com to scope out your DNS records, and remember that
> changes take some time to propogate.
>
> Is your MTA sendmail, exim, or what? Are you set up to use a smart host to
> relay outgoing mail, or are you sending from your host? Are you receiving on
> your host, or POP'ing/IMAP'ing another host?

	The long-and-short of it is that I did a grep -r -w though.org
	after my network friend mentioned how he finally got mail
	thru to me.  sendmail (/etc/mail/* and /etc/namedb/*, and, for
	that matter, /etc)  were okay.  This was on my primary
	nameserver, ns1.thought.org.  I 2-checked on other platforms,
	in /etc/mail/* and same deal.

	I'll add dnsstuff.com to my hotlist.  Right now I use (I believe)
	dnsreport.com which I check infrequently.  *Too* infrequently,
	obliously!  ...I just made some updates and fixed things that
	were flagged in red.  So I'll see how much e-homework I get now;
	or if my profs got pissed and flunked me for this....

	thank you for your time,

	gary

	PS:  I'be got a pop/imap question...but that can wait....

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix