Hi I have a suggestion! To Imporve the perfect Freebsd!

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Sun Mar 28 12:43:53 PST 2004

On Sunday 28 March 2004 22:23, Chuck McManis wrote:
> At 11:58 AM 3/28/2004, Jorn Argelo wrote:
> >True. However, so far you've just mentioned the CAD programs. I don't
> > think that that is a large group when you compare it with the Office
> > users for instance.
>
> Come on, lets be fair, if we wanted to limit the application to simply
> "emacs" guess what? Freebsd is craploads better than Windows! Whippee!
> We're #1!

True enough.
> >FreeBSD offers many options for almost every kind of computer user. I
> > believe that that is important as well.
>
> The above statement is not accurate, and believing it to be accurate will
> limit where FreeBSD can go. FreeBSD offers an option to a small population
> of users, those who use Windows to do "Office" tasks. Its also a great
> environment for the nerdly types who endlessly reinvent computer languages
> or window system widgets. Unfortunately those same windows users are the
> most clueless of computer users and cannot appreciate what FreeBSD does
> differently.

However, what I was trying to say is that FreeBSD provides a wide array of
appliations to do your daily work on (Unless you're a graphics designer). I
mean, what purpose do most desktop computers have at a workplace? Office
applications. You can control your servers if you're an system administrator,
and you can do everything else one can request from an average workstation
(e-mail, internet, etc). So that is what I was trying to say.

Other then that, you are quite correct saying about the other Windows users.
The problem is though, everybody grows up with Windows. Most people don't
even know that any other OS then Windows exists.

By the way, I don't think that "nerdly" is an appropiate way to adress the
folks. They do great work. Perhaps I always saw it wrong, but I find nerd a
negative way to describe a person who has interests in computers. I know it's
not interesting for the discussion, but I just had to get that from my chest.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Chuck. I am always open for other point of
view on things.

Cheers,

Jorn.