ahc reports lots of pci parity errors

Marc UBM Bocklet ubm at u-boot-man.de
Sat Mar 27 19:30:41 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:45:32 +0100
Marc "UBM" Bocklet <ubm at u-boot-man.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:15:25 -0500
> Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe a problem with the ISA-to-PCI bridge on your motherboard, or
> > else a timing problem.  You aren't playing with the bus frequency
> > multipliers, overclocking, or anything like that, right?
>
> Nope, nothing at all. It's a Tyan Thunder X with two PII-Xeon 450Mhz,
> nothing overclocked.
>
> > Dump the ISA soundcard for a PCI one and you'll probably do
> > better...
>
> Yep, just removed it.
>
> But as i wrote above I still get sporadic parity errors even without
> that old isa-card.
>
> Any idea what might cause those?

Hmm, I narrowed it down.

It starts going havoc if there are more than 4 PCI cards inserted. If
the fifth card is a PCI card, I get lots of errors and even lockups
really soon, if the fifth card is an ISA card, i get less errors and
I've only encountered one lockup until now.

I've two NICs and two graphic-cards (all PCI), ide-controller onboard
and scsi controller onboard.

Is this behaviour something that might be expected with this kind of
setup or is it a sign of defective/failing hardware (buggy/broken
southbridge, as Chuck suggested)?

TIA :-)

Bye
Marc