nfs between freeBSD and Gentoo

Erick Smith desertfox at cableaz.com
Sat Mar 27 09:44:39 PST 2004

Can anyone help me with an nfs or smbfs network filesystem error?  I can mount
a FreeBSD nfs export using a Gentoo client, and read from it, but not write
to it (connection hangs) even though other FreeBSD clients can.  Also, I can
mount the Gentoo nfs export using FreeBSD, but also cannot write to it.

when I try to write to the FreeBSD machine Gentoo reports the error:

nfs server OrganGrinder is not responding, still trying

it never succeeds.

I think this might be related to file locking, because the FreeBSD server has
reported a file locking error, but not consistently.  Also, I can sometimes
successfully transfer small files (<2k) but nothing bigger.  Everything just
hangs.

Also, when trying to mount a windowsXP from Gentoo share, I get the error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.1.127/F,
       or too many mounted file systems

I get the same set of errors on the vanilla 2.4.24 kernel as with the
2.6.4-gentoo-r1 kernel except on the newer kernel I also get a warning about
my mount being older than the kernel

Any Ideas here would be great, I need to integrate Gentoo into the network
somehow

my mount commands are:

for nfs:
mount -t ntfs OrganGrinder:/usr /net

for smbfs:
mount -t smbfs //Phage/F /mnt/smb

both machine names are in /etc/exports

I'm pretty new to linux, and gentoo especially so I could have easily screwed
something up in the kernel config, though I'm pretty sure that nfs is
starred.  On the 2.6.4 kernel I have selected to include NFSv3 but not NFSv4

Any help would be wonderful

Erick Smith
deusindustries