Why does favicon.ico show as error in apache log

Richard P. Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Fri Mar 26 07:05:54 PST 2004

At 14:30 26/03/2004, Ruben de Groot wrote:
>Or link favicon.ico to /dev/urandom to annoy IE users ;-)
>Just kidding.

Well, it isn't just IE that uses the favicon, as mozilla
displays it also.

Now, a favicon.ico is a 16pix x 16pix image in a certain
format.  If you assume 16 bits per pixel, thats 512 bytes.
You could go up to 24 bits and still fit within a single
packet.

So read in 512 bytes from /dev/urandom instead, and spoof
the .ico image format around it, and output that instead.  Every
user ends up with a different favicon in their browser
window and you can claim 'well, it works for me, I don't
know what /you/re talking about what do you /mean/ it looks
like garbage?'

Hm.  Sounds like fun.  Once my laptop is back from the shop
(four motherboards and counting...), I might take a swing
at it.

rip