Setting up Apache

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 25 16:26:37 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 06:55:26PM -0500, Gerard Seibert wrote:

> My cable company has agreed to issue me a dedicated IP address in exchange
> for my sending them an additional fee each month.
>
> I presently have two web sites that are being hosted by two different web
> hosts. I would like to host both of them myself. I know that Apache can
> easily handle that problem even though they would be sharing an IP
> address.
>
> My problem is that I have no working knowledge of Apache. I was wondering
> if someone could recommend a good book or two that could walk me through
> the steps of setting the program up and getting it running. It has to be
> the sort of book that does not assume I have a college degree in Computer
> Science.

The Apache documentation, and carefully tendered questions, should
be enough for a start --- as far as Apache goes.  Millions of people
use it --- it may feel scary at first, but it's not so bad for basic
site use.

For starters, make sure your ports tree is up to date,
and issue the following (assuming version 1.3.x here):

#cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
#make install clean

(if csh or tcsh)

#rehash

Then:

#apachectl configtest

If this reports "OK", open a browser to http://localhost
and see if it's telling the truth....

Probably your more pressing problems (although I don't
know what you already know about) will be DNS, security,
etc....

Anyway, if you get that far, read the "virtual hosts"
section of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf and see what's
up next for putting two sites on one server ....

:-)

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.