Why does favicon.ico show as error in apache log

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Thu Mar 25 13:16:41 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:59:04PM -0500, JJB wrote:
> I do not use this favicon.ico file in my web site, But an small
> number of the visitors for some reason try to get this file which is
> not there. This is reported as file error in the analog apache log
> reports. Can someone explain why some visitor browsers try to get
> this file, and what I can do to fix this?
>
> Thanks

Many browsers are set to automatically probe for this file, whethere it
really exists or not.  It is used to set various icons in the browswer -
especially in your bookmarks and possibly on a tab or some other
location on the browser window.  It's not a big deal.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49