total newbee questions

Gary W. Swearingen underway at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 11:16:04 PST 2004

Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz> writes:

> If all you've got available
> is /, then I feel your pain, for ed(1) and red(1) are somewhat
> "like kicking dead whales down the beach" compared to something
> more modern... :-)

You can avoid that pain without making / much bigger by installing the
editors/e3 port and moving /usr/local/bin/e3* to /bin/.  You'll get
fair "vi", "emacs", "pico", "wordstar", and "nedit" emulators, all in
less than 13000 bytes.

I'm sure ed(1) will be with us 'till the end, but I wish "e3" was also
included in the base i386 FreeBSD.  Or even a bigger (but small) "vi"
editor clone that would work on all CPUs.  There are several that seem
negligibly small compared to much of the other stuff I see in /*bin/.