install: kernel config: NIC ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 10:30:36 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:33:25AM -0800, lee slaughter wrote:
> I'm trying to do a methodical install (for once).  4.9 from a mini CD.
> 1st thing, when we get to kernel config  menu, visual mode,
> no network devices show up active.  In the inactive drivers section
> i see a little list of only six.
>
> question 1:  this is hardly a comprehensive list, is it?
> there's no explanation in the handbook why it is so short.

That configuration screen only shows ancient ISA cards that cannot
identify themselves to the system.  Any modern NIC (either PCI or
Cardbus) will be autodetected.  Basically you can just plough on
reguardless with your install and all of your network interfaces
should be picked up.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way