Need assitance installin FreeBSD

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 24 10:18:00 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:01:11AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > >You burn the CD, boot it, do the preliminary stuff and then when selecting
> > >install media, choose ftp and then pick a site that is convenient from
> > >the list and it handles all the rest.   If you have a good high speed
> > >net connection - at a university or something, it takes less than
> > >an hour.
> > >
> > As I said, not necessary until you get around to something
> > not listed above.  See my earlier post on my strategy for this.
>
> You barely have a system at that level - at least not what we
> generally think of as  real server or development environments.
>
> ////jerry

Perhaps, and we're now to the point of pointless discussion;
these facts are self-evident and we're basically agreeing,
but you do have "the base system."  If you read these
code words in any FreeBSD documentation, "the base system"
refers to just what's on the mini-ISO.  If nothing else, we
should remind people of that fact. Now, for an httpd server,
you're quite right; at the very minimum you'd need to fetch
a tarball and go the old "tar, ./configure, make && make install",
but I'd argue a tad that you can very well call a base FreeBSD
system a "real server" as it is quite possible to run a
mail/ftp/ntp/shell(ssh, telnet, rsh) box with nothing more than
a mini-ISO disk.

I don't run my servers with just that software, because I can't
afford to use one box for mail, another for http, etc.,; but it's a
viable installation alternative.  If I grab a full ISO for, say,
5.2, the source and docs for that will be outdated before very
long.  If I just install base and then cvsup my docs/source/ports,
I can have "cutting edge" in a rather short time and a quicker
download in the first place.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.