special characters, ie spanish accents

chip chip at wiegand.org
Tue Mar 23 19:14:57 PST 2004

Nathan Kinkade wrote:

>>--
>>Chip
>

> There is more than one way to get diacritic marks working in X.  For my
> part, since I generally only need a few marks (like you Spanish ones) I
> used xmodmap.  I put a file in my home directory called .xmodmaprc and
> then in my .xinitrc (or .xsession if you use xdm and friends) I added
> the line:
>
> xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
>
> My .xmodmaprc file contains the following:
>
> clear mod4
> keycode 115 = Mode_switch
> keycode 10 = 1 exclam exclamdown
> keycode 26 = e E eacute Eacute
> keycode 31 = i I iacute Iacute
> keycode 32 = o O oacute Oacute
> keycode 38 = a A aacute Aacute
> keycode 57 = n N ntilde Ntilde
> keycode 61 = slash question questiondown
>
> This allows me to make use of the otherwise useless "windows" keys on my
> keyboard.  On my systems keycode 115 is the left "windows" key (referred
> to as keysym Super_L in X).  So, if I press Super_L-e I get ``?'' and so
> on and so forth.
>
> Nathan

Thanks Nathan,
I have a brand new 104key keyboard, ran xkeycaps to verify the keycodes,
  and should be able to use your exact .xmodmaprc. The keycodes all
match yours. I created the file and added the other line to .xinitrc
(the end of the file, don't know if that matters), and restarted X, but
I don't get any of the special keys. When I press the Super-L key I get
the normal small case letter. I even tried an older 101key keyboard,
same results. I also ran xmodmap and it shows
mod 4	Super_L (Ox73), Super_R (Ox74)
I am running XFree86-4.3.0. The XFree86 log shows the correct keyboard
info, and the line
Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
Could that have something to do with this not working?
Any ideas why this may not be working for me?
Thanks,
chip