Java runtime?

Ralph M. Los Ralph at boundariez.com
Tue Mar 23 18:08:06 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Schuller [mailto:peter.schuller at infidyne.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 1:00 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Cc: Ralph M. Los
Subject: Re: Java runtime?

>Alright.  I tried, and after hours and hours of compiling...this:
>
>Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
>location
>/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/java/util/Curr
encyData.java:1:
>'class' or 'interface' expected

I haven't encoutered this particular problem myself, though I remember
reading
a post on this or the -java mailinglist not long ago where someone had
the
same problem.

I did some google and didn't find anything conclusive, though I did find

someone having the same problem on Linux when running in a chrooted
environment.

A suggestion which may or may not be correct is that it may be caused by
the
linprocfs filesystem not being mounted (because it broke in chroot). Try

doing, as root:

   kldload linprocfs
   mount linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

But again I have personally not seen this problem. When I failed to have
proper /proc filesystem for the Linux compatibility the result was the
JVM
busy-waiting indefinitely rather than getting instability/errors. But
try
that and see. If it doesn't fix it, write back.

(I am assuming it is the Linux JVM, running under emulation, which is
failing,
given that it is compiling the standard library for the native JVM.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org

So I did that....after SU'ing to root, the first command line worked
fine.  The second, however, produced an error as such:

	mount: linprocfs: No such file or directory

Someone else HAS to have had this problem?  Anyone?  What does everyone
else here do for JAVA support???

-Ralph