Need assitance installin FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Mar 23 14:42:15 PST 2004

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:20:59 +0000 Chris wrote:
>   (reformatted for 72 characters per line or less)
> >
> > I downloaded the mini FreeBSD for this little pc i have, but im
> > not sure what files to put on cd. Could you please give me a hand?
> > the attached pic is what was unziped. Thank you  -Chris
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> All attachments are stripped from emails to the list so no one
> will see them.
>
> The mini-iso is a bootable disc which contains the files for a
> base installation; however, they do not contain any packages such
> as window managers or XFree86.  If you are expecting to install
> a graphical environment, you will need to use the full iso.  Only
> the first disc is required.

Actually, I think the intention of the MINI-ISO is to boot and
run the installation with everything loaded from one of the ftp
sites.

You just burn the MINI-ISO directly to CD and boot from it - no other
manipulation of the file such as trying to uncompress it or make a
bootable file system.  It is all already there as is..
You burn the CD, boot it, do the preliminary stuff and then when selecting
install media, choose ftp and then pick a site that is convenient from
the list and it handles all the rest.   If you have a good high speed
net connection - at a university or something, it takes less than
an hour.

If you have a slow net connection, then you will want CD 1 and maybe
2 which allow you to load everything from CD.   Still, you just burn
the ISO files directly to CDs and boot the first one.  Then you select
CD as the install media.   If, by what you select to install, it needs
the second one, it will ask for it.

////jerry