To use.perl port or not?

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Tue Mar 23 08:38:00 PST 2004

* Keith Beattie <KSBeattie at lbl.gov> [2004-03-23 07:44]:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed the perl-5.8.2_5 port and ran 'use.perl port' to make
> that new perl the default system perl. I did several other upgrades at
> about the same time and since then: kernel cvsup and rebuild to
> 4.9-RELEASE-p4, and
> weekly cvsup to update my installed ports.
>
> Searching the archives for 'use.perl' I found a suggestion that after
> switching to use.perl port, one should reinstall programs that depend on
> perl. Not sure how to make such a list, but it seems excessive.
>
> So, does it seem reasonable that switching perl could have caused/solved
> this problem?  How 'bleeding edge' is doing a 'use.perl port'?  Is it
> something that indeed requires a large rebuild of one's system?  If so, how
> does one go about finding the list of things which need to be rebuilt?

/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade is a great tool for managing software
and dependencies.  Install it, read the man pages, and do:

portupgrade -rf perl

That's if you're using perl from the ports collection.  It will
rebuild all apps that require perl.

--
Joshua

To live is always desirable.
		-- Eleen the Capellan, "Friday's Child", stardate 3498.9