Repairing XFree86

tachles tachles at tiscali.fr
Tue Mar 23 03:41:49 PST 2004

I had installed and used XF86 with kdm correctly (FreeBSD 4.9). This installation is now damaged, and I suspect it is because of the installation of Gimp from the ports collection. Although Gimp was running, after restarting the system I am unable to login: X is not started and I get a black screen (even unable to get a text login with Ctrl-Alt-F1). I have here in fact 2 questions:

1) what is the procedure recommended to recover from this situation?
reinstalll some package?... fixit mode?....

2) use of fixit mode
I have found other questions on this list about this topic.
As suggested, I used the live CD and the CDROM/DVD option and then:
mount -t ufs /mnt2/dev/ad0s1a /mnt
... but I get:
mount: /mnt2/dev/ad01sa: Operation not permitted

Thanks,
Gad

******ADSL Tiscali, le Haut débit au meilleur prix ******
Avec Tiscali, profitez de l'ADSL au meilleur prix partout en France !
Pour profiter de cette offre exceptionnelle, cliquez ici : http://register.tiscali.fr/adsl
Sous réserve d'éligibilité à l'ADSL.