Olympus D-400 camera on FreeBSD

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:21:30 PST 2004

Hi,

I sent a couple messages to the gphoto list a few weeks ago, but they never
showed up on the archives. So I'm trying again.

I'm not sure if my problem is with gphoto or FreeBSD, though I'm leaning
towards gphoto...

I was just given an old Olympus D-400 Zoom camera (which I think gphoto2
supports), and I'm trying to download pictures onto a computer running FreeBSD
-CURRENT (from Mar. 15). The nifty USB SmartMedia reader I have isn't
supported by umass (I just get 'ugen0: SCM Microsystems Inc. eUSB SmartMedia
Adapter, rev 1.10/2.08, addr 2' when I plug it in). So I'm trying to use the
serial connection directly with the camera. I have the serial ports set up
(though I've never used them before): I've got sio in my kernel, and both
serial ports are found on boot:
~~~~
yggdrasil> dmesg | grep sio
sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
sio1: type 16550A
~~~~

I've got cuaa0 and cuaa1 permission 666 as well (though I was originally doing
this as root, so it didn't matter). However, gphoto2 isn't finding any
camera. I've tried various orders of plugging things in, turning on the
camera, and booting the computer, to no avail. I've searched gphoto and
FreeBSD archives, and come up with no ideas. Any thoughts on whether this is
a FreeBSD problem, a gphoto problem, or something else? Relevant gphoto2
output below:

~~~~
yggdrasil> gphoto2 -v
gphoto2 2.1.4

Copyright (c) 2000-2003 Lutz Mueller and others

gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
License. For more information about these matters, see the files named
COPYING.

This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
gphoto2           2.1.4        cc, popt, exif, no cdk, aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2        2.1.4        cc, EXIF, no ltdl, no /proc/meminfo
libgphoto2_port   0.5.1        cc, USB, serial without locking, no ltdl

yggdrasil> gphoto2 --list-ports
Devices found: 3
Path                             Description
serial:/dev/cuaa0                Serial Port 0
serial:/dev/cuaa1                Serial Port 1
usb:                             Universal Serial Bus
yggdrasil> gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
~~~~

Thanks,