newsyslog and apache

Wayne Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Mon Mar 22 18:50:10 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:07, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I do not run apache at all, but I am the guy who has done the
> most-recent work on the newsyslog command.
>
> If I were to guess, I think your problem might be that you end
> up sending multiple USR1 signals to apache.  I haven't looked
> at the code recently, but I think the freebsd newsyslog still
> does not optimize the number of signal's that it sends to a
> single process.
>
> What I would suggest you try is some kind of staggered setup.
> (it's an easy thing to try...).  Something like:
>
> .../www.domain1.com/access_log  640 30  *  @T00  ZN
> .../www.domain1.com/error_log   640 30  *  @T00  Z  /var/run/httpd.pid 30
> .../www.domain2.org/access_log  640 30  *  @T02  ZN
> .../www.domain2.org/error_log   640 30  *  @T02  Z  /var/run/httpd.pid 30
> .../www.domain3.com/access_log  640 30  *  @T04  ZN
> .../www.domain3.com/error_log   640 30  *  @T04  Z  /var/run/httpd.pid 30
>
> (the ...'s are just an attempt to avoid line-wrapping in this
> message.  you still want the full pathname in the control file)
>
> The idea is to rotate the log-and-error files for any one domain
> at the same time, and only specify the pid once for that group.
> And then wait two minutes between the files for each domain name.
>
> See if that helps you at all.

Is there any benefit to using wildcards in newsyslog.conf? eg. I embed
the domain name for each logfile into the filename itself, so I've just
updated my newsyslog.conf with lines like:

/var/log/httpd-*-access.log 644  12 * $M1D0 GJB /var/run/httpd.pid 30
/var/log/httpd-*-error.log  644  12 * $M1D0 GJB /var/run/httpd.pid 30

Will this turn over the logfiles and then do the signal, or will the
signal be issued for each file from the expansion?

Wayne