"Root" posting

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Mon Mar 22 07:40:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:47:56PM +0100, Henrik W Lund wrote:

> The ongoing debate about top posting vs. bottom/random posting has
> sparked a somewhat related question in me: what about root posting
> (e.g. posting to the root of the list, instead of in the relevant thread)?

Please please *please* don't lets have lots of examples of how and why
this is a bad thing ala greg lehey's posts above <g>

> For someone like me, who is on digest (and not planning to go off it
> soon. The digests clutter my mailbox enough as it is), it is often a
> matter og being reluctant to post to an ongoing thread, knowing that
> my email will fall "out of" the thread context.

I noticed someone top-posting a while ago to this list whilst including
the complete digest mail below his/her top-post - 70k or so(?).  I don't see
why you can't just strip out the part of the digest that's relevant to
you and reply to it in-line, adding a suitable subject.

It's been a while since I subscribed to a digest list, but I wouldn't be
surprised if mutt actually lets you reply _only_ to an individual mail
in a digest mail, allowing you to maintain threading.  Depends how the
digest is formatted I suppose.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer