Dell 2650 config for FreeBSD 4.9

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Mar 22 07:05:35 PST 2004

> We are in the position to have to replace an intel ISP1100 which has
> been running as our primary server for some time. As a potential
> replacement we are looking at a Dell 2650 dual processor raid5 server,
> specs below.   Up until now, the ISP1100 with a P3 800 and 1GB of PC100
> RAM has been handling the load like a fine workhorse, but anything
> purhcased now is well beyond those specs.  Does anyone have any first
> hand experiences, caveats, warnings, or commendations for this server if
> it is to use FreeBSD 4.9 as a dns/radius/website with extensive
> PostgreSQL database usage.

We had a 2650 for a while and I was using it for development with FreeBSD.
It worked fine - until another group here stole it for their stuff so we
had to come up with a different machine a 1550 and a 4650, both of which
also run FreeBSD fine.  The 4650 has a raid controller, but we haven't
made much use of it for raid stuff yet.

You might want to get larger disks.   The 18GBs are already small in
this world.   I think they have 36GB that do 15k RPM, though I think
that on the list I looked at last week at DELL the 72 GB disk only
did 10K RPM.

////jerry