XFree86

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 03:02:19 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:41:08AM +0300, ZaiD Dashti wrote:

> why when i write startx my computer hangs ?
> whatis the problem ?

I guess your X windows is incorrectly configured.  However, my crystal
ball is on the blink and I never was very good at extra sensory
perception, so I'm not going to be able to tell you much more than
that without a great deal more detail about symptoms -- what exactly
do you see when the system hangs?  What exactly did you do to try and
configure things and so forth.  Consult this article for guidance:

Some good things to check out: try looking at the
/var/log/XFree86.0.log file -- there's usually some indication in
there of what has gone wrong.

Get hold of the manuals for your monitor and your video card and make
sure that the HorizSync and VertRefresh frequency range settings in
/etc/X11/XF86Config are within spec for both (look for the 'Section
"Monitor"' stuff).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way