Top posting

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 21 17:58:39 PST 2004

On Sunday, 21 March 2004 at 20:44:12 -0500, Scott Ballantyne wrote:
> Top posting is irritating. So is scrolling through 20Mb of unedited text
> to get to a one line response, which is often "Yes, I've seen this too."
> Spelling flames are irritating too. And the most irritating of all is
> reading messages on a mailing list which deal only with issues of
> netiquette.

Nothing makes you read them.

> What ever happened to the very sound advice that used to be preached
> that such messages should be sent privately, to the perpetrator of
> the breach, rather than broadcast to the many readers of
> freebsd-questions who are more interested in getting freebsd answers
> than a lesson in netiquette?

It's still there.  But obviously this matter is of interest to enough
people that it's worth discussing on the list, especially since it
influences the likely success of a post to the list.  If it doesn't
interest you, do what you do with other messages that don't interest
you: delete them.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.