freeBSD server

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 09:09:06 PST 2004

On Mar 21, 2004, at 6:49 AM, Martijn wrote:
> I am planning on running a BSD server with DNS and an apache server,
> maybe an
> dhcp server to. (No X). What would be the minimum requirements for
> this?

DNS and DHCP are relatively lightweight, so the main question is how
much traffic you expect the web server to handle.  If you're going to
handle less than 100K hits per day (approx 1 hit per second), you're
only going to need something like a Pentium-100 grade machine with 32MB
of RAM.

If you generate dynamic content rather than serving up static HTML,
your workload and requirements will go up quite a bit, since dynamic
websites generally involve some combination of a database and Perl,
Python, or some other scripting language...

--
-Chuck