what's the difference of -R and -r?

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 06:10:14 PST 2004

>From cp(1):
     Historic versions of the cp utility had a -r option.  This
implementation
     supports that option, however, its use is strongly discouraged, as it
     does not correctly copy special files, symbolic links or fifo's.

So I keep using -R rather than -r in cp. But I found other commands like
scp(1), ncftp(1), does not support -R; they use -r.

Does that mean other tools like scp, ncftp, do not copy special files,
follow symbolic links rather than re-create them, do not deal with fifo's
correctly? I think it is reasonable, because creating symbolic links cross
different hosts is useless, so it is with special files. About fifo files,
I don;t know what that is:)