Networking problems behind a router's firewall

Claudio M. Camacho claudiocamacho at vodafone.es
Sun Mar 21 02:37:44 PST 2004

   Hello all, I'm trying to use FreeBSD 5.2.1 in my computer behind a
domestic ADSL modem-router. At home, we have 2 computers, 1 is a server
and the router uses NAT with some port redirections; and the 2nd one is
my workstation, where I use NetBSD, Linux and FreeBSD 5.2.1.

   The problem is the next (and it is very very weird):

	a) When I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1; i also installed cvsup-without-gui
	(latest version) and I tried to update my src and my ports, but the
	program was stopped at these lines:

	Establesing multiplexed-mode
	Runnig...

	That's all, I couldn't download any delta.

	b) If I try to use traditional CVS, I can use cvs checkout to download
	the entire source tree, or even ports tree. But, once I have got all the
	tree, if I go into the tree (both src and ports) and I try to cvs update,
	the program is stopped at the beginning and it doesn't download anything.

	c) Even all, I played with cvsup -P port (openning that port in my
	firewall), -P - (for passive connections as CVS uses), -P a, and -P m.
	But none above worked, so I'm frustrated.

	The very very weird thing is that I said, I yes can download trough
	'cvs co src'; but once I've got all the src tree, if I get into and I
	try: 'cvs update'; the cvs establishes the both passive connections with
	the server but nothing is downloaded; and I get a Timed Out Connection
	in about 10 minutes.

   I can use deltas because I use normal FTP connections, but I prefer
pretty much the cvsup due to confortability and ease.

   These problems didn't happen with FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE nor 4.8-RELEASE,
but yes with 5.X branches. I use FreeBSD since 2 years ago and I'm sure
there's no errors in supfiles even I used CVS and it is not working.

   Can anyone help me please?

	P.S.- I was reading a lot of mails about problems with cvsup behind
	firewall, but all people solved them openning any port in firewall and
	then using -P port with cvsup. But it doesn't works for me, I open the
	port but the server doesn't connect back to me (using above port).
--

Claudio M. Camacho

http://mkd.ath.cx