Best *nix OS for a laptop?

Volker Kindermann freebsd at secspace.de
Sun Mar 21 01:23:27 PST 2004

Hello Eric,

> I've been using freebsd 4.x on a laptop for 6 months or so now, and
> I'm not entirely happy with it.  Mostly, it lacks multimedia support
> and power management.  I don't want to start some flame war here, but
> here goes.
>
> Could some of you please send me an email telling me what OS you
> utilize on your laptop, and why?  I'm not looking for anyone bashing
> any other OS, just why you use what you do.

I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my Thinkpad X21. The only thing I've trouble
with is acpi. So I'm using APM which works sufficiently for me
(suspending when closing the display, etc. I have no problems with
sound, all hardware components are recognised (even the WinModem is
supported by the lt.. port but I don't bother as I don't need it).

Mostly I do allday-work with the laptop, email, browsing the internet,
openoffice, connecting to citrix, administering remote machines,
networking tasks, etc.

There's nothing I miss with FreeBSD but that's only my point. Other
users may have other needs.

 -volker