Best *nix OS for a laptop?

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sat Mar 20 16:14:51 PST 2004

Eric F Crist wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've been using freebsd 4.x on a laptop for 6 months or so now, and I'm not
> entirely happy with it.  Mostly, it lacks multimedia support and power
> management.  I don't want to start some flame war here, but here goes.
>
> Could some of you please send me an email telling me what OS you utilize on
> your laptop, and why?  I'm not looking for anyone bashing any other OS, just
> why you use what you do.
>
> TIA

Hi Eric,

First of all, when someone flamewars over this, it's very shamefull...
The one who does that should know better, and even OS bashing is the
same form, know better.

I run FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my laptop and that works rather ok. My soundcard
words, and the Powermanagement i don't use so cannot tell anything about
  that. Why do i use it? I like to run bleeding edge stuff, and on my
laptop i cannot do any harm at all. Also i am interested in it :-).

I run on my laptop some applications to do some administration
(OpenOffice) and i use it to connect to my servers in the home lan.
I've also used the laptop in a SANS track where we needed laptops, from
every OS in the room i thought (and still think) that my FreeBSD laptop
was most secure and reliable.

Also i like to use it as a mobile cd player and dvd player, and that
works alright with xmms and Xine.

Hope this gives some information to you :-)

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Remko Lodder
Elvandar.org/DSINet.org