Latency problem with traffic shaping (ipfw/dummynet)

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Sat Mar 20 14:57:15 PST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> cannot comment on the reason for the huge delay (but one
> way to check what is going on is to change the pipe's bandwidth
> and see if anything changes), but i see a big
> misunderstanding on weights vs. priorities in your
> configuration:

	The delay only seems to be coming from machines behind the FreeBSD
box and not the FreeBSD box itself since every box has static IP's, only
the outgoing is via the FreeBSD box but the downstream is direct from the
modem through the switch and then the machines directly.

> > # Define our upload pipe
> >         ${fwcmd} pipe 1 config bw 480Kbit/s
> > # Define a high-priority queue
> >         ${fwcmd} queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 100
> > # Define a medium-high-priority queue
> >         ${fwcmd} queue 2 config pipe 1 weight 99
> > # Define a medium-low-priority queue
> >         ${fwcmd} queue 3 config pipe 1 weight 98
> > # Define a low-priority queue
> >         ${fwcmd} queue 4 config pipe 1 weight 97
>
> the above configuration means that if queue 1 is getting a bandwidth
> X, then queue 2 will get 0.99X, queue 3 will get 0.98X, queue
> 4 will get 0.97X. Hardly matching any reasonable definition of high-mid-low
> priority!

	Hmm, I think I did it that way because 100 is the largest number
and I didn't decide on how many queues I may add later so the numbers will
change but does the weight number really mean 99%, 98%, 97% priority?  So
should it really be 66, 33, and 1?

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin