deleting directories with ??? in name

Parv parv at pair.com
Fri Mar 19 17:25:19 PST 2004

in message <40571A35.7040702 at earthlink.net>,
wrote Walter thusly...

I apologize for the late reply.

> Parv wrote:
>
> >  # find . \( -inum <inode-1> -o -inum <inode-2> \) -print0 \
> >  # | xargs -0 rm -rfv
> >

> Thanks, but when I did:
> ls -i
> and then typed in the inode in the command (saved in an old List
> e-mail):
> find . -inum <inode> -delete
> it didn't delete them.  Do you think your way would work where
> manual command wouldn't?  But, they are gone now, so I can't try
> it anyway.

My _speculation_ is that if '-delete' option did not work from w/in
find(1), i doubt that above quoted command chain would cause any
difference.  I suppose, you also guessed the same.  OTOH, the
description of -delete option does say...

  -delete
          ... It will not attempt to delete a filename with a ``/''
          character in its pathname relative to ``.'' for security
          reasons.

...that is one thing to consider.

It would have been fun to experiment w/ the offending directory
structure.  Next time it happens, send me a sample/small tar'd copy,
will you?

  - Parv