Vinum, replaced disk -- fsck error.

Lewis Thompson lewiz at fajita.org
Fri Mar 19 16:23:41 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:57:38AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 19 March 2004 at  3:03:34 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> > In a reply to my original question you stated that ``dd if=ad3 of=ad1
> > bs=8192 conv=noerror'' ``may or may not work, depending on details you
> > haven't reported.''  Do these detailed errors help at all?
>
> A little.  They tell me that the drive is flaky.  I'd expect to see
> the error messages in /var/log/messages, though.

Right.  I've just written a full-blown reply to this message but on the
very last thing I did some looking into dd.  After some searching I
found somebody that said:

``One must specify conv=noerror,sync when copying raw disks with bad
sectors to ensure dd stays synchronized''

  I'm feeling sheepish now.  I've only used conv=noerror.  This would
probably explain something (i.e. I can read the config from the disk
because it's synched at the beginning).

  I'm going to re-dd the disk on Monday (I'm away for the weekend).
I'll tell you how I get on then.

  Thanks again for all the help,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-