Top posting

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 19 15:05:41 PST 2004

On Friday, 19 March 2004 at 17:53:09 -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004, Charles McManis clacked the keyboard to produce:
>>> Perhaps it isn't "logical", if you've read all the email then the quoted
>>> thread is just reference anyway. This is the "new stuff". I love being able
>>> to read mail in the preview-pane vs "next message" , jump to the bottom,
>
> Maybe, if you only have one thread to deal with.  But in any given
> day I am seeing hundreds of messages from scores of threads.  Some
> precious but out of context tidbit is easily orphaned and becomes
> meaningless.

Of course, leaving extraneous text behind doesn't help either.
This message had 12 lines of relevant text and 70 of irrelevant text
(exceptionally, left behind as evidence; there's nothing below of any
further interest).  This makes people scroll all the way down just to
discover there's nothing there.

Greg