I need help mounting a floppy

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 19 05:48:19 PST 2004

Willy Dingledorf wrote:

>Gentlemen:
>
>I am a frustrated newbie who has a good back-ground in Microsoft operating-systems,
>but no experience with FreeBSD.  I have installed various versions of FreeBSD many
>times on several different computers ... but after a successful install, I keep
>running into brick-walls.

You ought to stop that ... pain hurts. :D

>My most recent failure came after down-loading and installing FreeBSD version 5.2
>
>I have been unable to mount the floppy-disk.
>
>I have tried typing various commands that I found in different books, and also
>some that I found in the Help-files (that I down-loaded from the FreeBSD Web-site).
>
>Here are some examples (none of which work):
>
># fdformat /dev/fd0
>fdformat: open(/dev/fd0): No such file or directory
>
># mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
>mount: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory
>
># mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>msdosfs: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory
>
>#mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>mount_msdos: command not found
>
>Or, if you would rather that I take the "fstab" approach ... yes, I have
>tried that too ... and failed.  Here are some examples (none of which work):
>
>I edited the fstab-file by inserting the following lines (each one, in turn):
>
>/dev/fd0   /floppy  msdos     rw,noauto  0  0
>/dev/fd0   /floppy  msdosfs  rw             0  0
>
>No matter what lines I tried, the result was always similar to this:
>
># mount /floppy
>msdosfs /dev/fd0: No such file or directory
>

>If it looks like I do not know what I am doing ... that is exactly right.
>If I type something-in and it does not work ... I do not have any idea why ...
>and I have no idea how to invent some new words to type.
>
>Can some-one help me ?  (And remember ... before you ask for my boot-log ...
>I cannot mount the floppy ... so I don't know how to get a text-file out
>of that machine).
>
>Willy

Well, let's do an "optical diff" then ... what do
you see when you do this from the console?

     $grep fd /var/log/dmesg.today

Should be something like:

    Using $PIR table, 6 entries at 0xc00fdf10
    fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller (i82077, NE72065 or clone)> port
0x3f7,0x3f2-0
    x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
    fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
    fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0

and what about:

        $ls / | grep mnt

That should say:

        mnt/