freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 52, Issue 12

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Thu Mar 18 06:35:28 PST 2004

> I am trying to install xmms.  When I run sysinstall, I first have to
> change the location to something else because 5.0-RELEASE is not there.
> I have been choosing 5.0-CURRENT instead, and that seems to at least get
> me into the list of available packages.
>
> When I try in install the xmms-1.2.10 package, one of the dependency
> packags fails to install right away. (expat-1.95.6_1)  All it says is
> error code 1 - see debug screen for more info...  How do I find the
> debug screen?
>
> What am I doing wrong in general?

Are you using sysinstall to install the port from a cd? It's almost certainly
better in the long run to install the ports collection on your machine (you
might already have it: look to see if you have /usr/ports and lots of
subdirectories) and install from the net. That way you can keep the ports
collection up to date with cvsup and install individual ports with
portinstall. These things take a little setting up but make life a lot
easier.

Cheers,
Ben