Why does `df` lie about free space (it doesn't)

Kyryll A Mirnenko mirya at ukrpost.net
Thu Mar 18 03:20:34 PST 2004

>Using "tunefs -m". You need to be really careful doing this, and read
>the man page for tunefs again, particularly the warning about how
>lowering this number can trash your filesystem's performance.

  I don't want that, I need to allow using preserved 8% of disk space to a little group of non-root users (for ex. postgres & rootty, my unprivileged user), but noone more. How do I do this?

>PS. You keep on appearing to confuse the notion of free data >blocks with
>free inodes. They're not the same thing: they are two distinct >resources
>and your filesystem can run out of either pretty much >independently.

  inode(5) descrbes inodes as a table of block addresses kinda FAT but with variable block sizes inodes point to. That is.

--
Укрпост - продвинутая почта. http://www.ukrpost.net/
IMAP POP3 NNTP RSSNews Unicode.