openSSL certificate key's

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 01:15:42 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:34:32AM +0100, albi wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:24:07 +0100
> Martijn <freeBSD at parel.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone could tell me how
> > I can generate my openSSL certificate key's.
>
> for apache ?
> e.g. in the apache13-modssl port you can try to use : make certificate
>
> for courier-imap, there are tools included to make a SSL-cert for
> pop3-ssl and imap-ssl

If you want to make a self-signed certificate, suitable for use with
apache, or sendmail or various other programs, there's a neat little
(barebones, no explanation) guide at:

    http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/other/cagreg.html

You may need to edit newreq.pem to extract the private key from it --
which is pretty obvious how to do just from looking at the file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

NB. Verb. Sap.  Some applications (*cough* Outlook *cough*) get upset
when the OU in the certificate is the same as the OU of your
certificate authority.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way