Need some port installation help.

Jason Zimberoff zim at svs.com
Wed Mar 17 16:22:18 PST 2004

Hello all.

I'm new to all of this, so please bear with me...

Here is my uname:

FreeBSD freeBSD.comcast.com 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan
16 22:16:53 GMT 2003
root at hollin.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I also seem to be using gnome2 as an xwindows manager.

I am trying to install xmms.  When I run sysinstall, I first have to
change the location to something else because 5.0-RELEASE is not there.
I have been choosing 5.0-CURRENT instead, and that seems to at least get
me into the list of available packages.

When I try in install the xmms-1.2.10 package, one of the dependency
packags fails to install right away. (expat-1.95.6_1)  All it says is
error code 1 - see debug screen for more info...  How do I find the
debug screen?

What am I doing wrong in general?

Can someone maybe just suggest an easier way to load a program that will
play mp3's on my FreeBSD box?

Thanks!

-Jason Z.