PGP Utility?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Mar 16 22:23:08 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:13:47AM -0500, Bob Perry wrote:

> I installed gnupg-1.2.4_1, The GNU Privacy Guard, & read over the README
> and HOWTOs.  Ran into a problem re "...unsafe ownership of the main
> configuration file...."  Searched the mailing list archives with little
> luck
> but, more importantly, the users' mailing list was unavailable.

Well, what is the ownership?  gnupg probably expects it to be owned by
the user and not to be world- or group- writable, and maybe not to be
readable either.  i.e. the permissions on the file should be secure.

> My objective was to just install a security patch.  Is the file
> verification
> step really necessary?

That all depends on whether or not you have a trojaned copy of the
security patch :-)

Kris