PGP Utility?

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 22:13:09 PST 2004

lars wrote:

> Bob Perry wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm preparing to run a security patch on my system and was
>> instructed to download the patch and verify the PGP signature
>> using your PGP utility.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the PGP utility but it clearly sounds like
>> something I should have.  There are a number of pgp-type
>> ports available.  Are there any more suited for simple file
>> verification?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob Perry
>>
> /usr/ports/security/gnupg

Hello,

I installed gnupg-1.2.4_1, The GNU Privacy Guard, & read over the README
and HOWTOs.  Ran into a problem re "...unsafe ownership of the main
configuration file...."  Searched the mailing list archives with little
luck
but, more importantly, the users' mailing list was unavailable.

My objective was to just install a security patch.  Is the file
verification
step really necessary?  Any suggestions/comments regarding other
pgp-like security utilities?

Thanks,
Bob

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0