Sound problem with short sounds (aureal 8830)

Wayne Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Tue Mar 16 13:37:41 PST 2004

FreeBSD-5.2-RELEASE w/aureal 8830 (Xitel Storm Platinum)

I appear to be having the problem with playback of short sound (.wav)
files which I found a discussion about in the freebsd-multimedia
archives (from about June of last year - albeit for a different card).
That thread appeared to culminate in a patch being presented for testing
but I could find no further reference to the issue. Anyone happen to
know the status of this problem and whether there's any solution
available?

While I'm on the topic of sound cards, any happen to know why my sound
cuts out if I drop the master volume below 8?

Thanks,

Wayne