/var/log/messages question

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Tue Mar 16 12:47:57 PST 2004

Darryl Hoar (darryl at osborne-ind.com) wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a 4.4-stable box configured as my firewall
> running IPFilter and doing nat and routing to
> the internet.
>
> I keep getting:
>
> Mar 16 13:10:09 darryl /kernel: arplookup 10.2.2.2 failed: host is not on
> local network
>
> in my /var/log/messages file.  It is coming from my DSL facing interface.  I
> used ethereal
> to capture packets and determine the MAC address.  Turns out to be a "vendor
> testpoint"
> on some OSI gear the ISP is using.  They cannot correct this problem.
>
> ARP comes way before IPFilter, therefore I do not believe it can be
> filtered.
>
> Is there anything I can do to prevent these warnings/errors from clogging up
> my
> log files ?

This will happen if you have a public static ip address on your freebsd
box, connected to an adsl router but the adsl router's lan interface is
on a different network. This situation primarily occurs when you turn
an adsl router into an adsl modem, e.g.  you enable ppp half-bridge mode.

 I pipe those, and other messages to a virtual terminal, like this:

syslog.conf
--
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice            /dev/ttyv3

BR,
--
mike