FreeBSD 4.9 Install hangs

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Mar 16 02:35:11 PST 2004

I'm having a problem installing FreeBSD 4.9 on an old ibm system.  It
hangs during boot while probing certain hardware.  Both the cd install
and the floppy disk have the same exact problem.  The last message shown
is it detecting ati mach64 pci video card, and just sits there.  I've
tried disabling and non-essential drivers in the kernel config screen,
but nothing helped.  5.2.1 installed fine, but is too unstable for
practical purposes (it just randomly resets in the middle of using it.)
I've done a little searching, but couldn't find any good solutions as I
can't just remove the video card to test it.
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C