[OT?] write C program with UTF16LE

Adam Bozanich abozan01 at ccsf.edu
Mon Mar 15 15:03:14 PST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:28:17AM -0800, Adam Bozanich wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>
> > > but I am the kind of newbie don't know if I am using glibc at all. When I
> > > just write
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > > Am i using the stdio.h from glibc?
>
> > Yes, on FreeBSD you are using GNU's libc
>
> Errr... no.  Not even if you're using the Linux devtools to create a
> Linux executable.  You're using the FreeBSD system libc.  Same API,
> different code, different licencing terms.

Yep, one look at /usr/include/stdio.h proves you right.  Thanks... I (obviously)
didn't realize that.

Now I'm very curious.  If BSD has it's own C api, did it at one time have
it's own compiler?  If so, what happened to it?

Does gcc have to know about the different syscall calling conventions?

I'm trying to look through /usr/src/lib/ right now, but I don't understand
most of what is going on.

Thanks a lot,
-Adam