Pernicious problem with vfork / qmail / qmail-scanner (RESOLVED)

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Sun Mar 14 08:59:48 PST 2004

Hi Justin,

--On Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:37:13 AM -0500 "Justin Baugh, KSC"
<baughj at discordians.net> wrote:

> So, after much testing & debugging:
>
> * The problem only happens with tcpserver
> * The problem is not replicable in any way under 5.2.1R
> * The problem happens with any service/user with tcpserver, not just
>    qmail-smtpd/qmaild
>
> I set up a testbed on my home box with a vanilla qmail install, and I
> wasn't able to get it to choke up. As a workaround (until I can upgrade
> the other box to 5.2.1R) I am running qmail through xinetd /
> tcpwrappers (heresy, I know), and all is well.

Happen to catch this, this morning... Good dig on this..

Tcpserver *defaults* to a maximum of 40 simultaneous connections, so this
could very well be where your problem is.. Sorry, should have thought of
this earlier.

You can raise this limit with the -c n (n=number) option..

Please see

<http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html>

--
Gary