performance with less than 8% minfree

Thomas Vogt turbo23 at gmx.net
Sat Mar 13 10:51:25 PST 2004

Hi

FreeBSD 4.9 man tunefs(8) explains in section "-m minfree" that by
default, 8% disk space is reserved for root. The man page also says
clearly that I'll lose performance if I reduce minfree. My mailserver
has one drive for the base system and a raid enviroment with 500GB space
for the users mailboxes. 8% of 500gb space is a lot of space which I
can't use anymore for my users mailboxes.
So if I set this minfree to < 8% is there any other option I have to set
that I don't lose too much performance. We're talking about a lot of
write procedures for small files.

regards
Thomas Vogt