What is the Proper Kernel Location?

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 08:49:44 PST 2004

Hello,

Preparing to apply my first patch to my system and came across
a section from the Handbook that I don't fully understand.

In section 9.6 If Something Goes Wrong, there is a note in a
sub-section called, "The kernel does not boot" which reads:

*Note:* If you are having trouble building a kernel, make sure to
keep a GENERIC, or some other kernel that is known to work on
hand as a different name that will not get erased on the next build.
You cannot rely on kernel.old because when installing a new
kernel, kernel.old is overwritten with the last installed kernel
which may be non-functional. Also, as soon as possible, move
the working kernel to the proper kernel location or commands
such as ps(1) <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ps&sektion=1>
will not work properly.

I thought kernels are all found in the / directory. If so, what location
is this passage referring to as the "proper kernel location?"

Thanks,
Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0